Partnering with a digital marketing expert is something that all companies can benefit from in 2021. While you might be tempted to handle your digital marketing needs on your own, this isn’t always the wisest decision if you want to keep your business running online and beyond.
Sure, it may save you a few bucks, but you aren’t likely to see the same results as you would if you were to hire a pro. There are a lot of benefits that come with professional knowledge of SEO, social media marketing, content creation, and all other aspects that are essential for developing a well-rounded digital marketing plan.
But should you hire a full agency, or an individual digital marketing consultant who works as a freelancer?
In this guide, we’ll be comparing the differences, similarities, and pros and cons of partnering with an agency or opting for a freelance consultant for your digital marketing needs.
Comparing Freelance Digital Marketing Consultants vs Agencies
You’re probably already aware that the word freelancer refers to someone who works independently. Whether a digital marketing consultant goes by “freelancer”, “self-employed”, or “independent contractor”, this individual generally works alone without the guidance of project managers or fellow team members.
A digital marketing agency, on the other hand, is a larger team of individuals who have professional knowledge and experience in the industry. Because an agency is made up of multiple team members, the companies who hire them have more access to all of the services that fall under the digital marketing umbrella, including:
- Strategy building
- Website design
- Website maintenance
- Content creation & copywriting
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimisation
- Ad creation
- Email marketing
The size and resources available to a digital marketing company means that agencies are generally better equipped than a solo digital marketing consultant.
Freelance Digital Marketing Consultant Pros & Cons
Both agencies and freelancers come with their own set of pros and cons. Here’s what you can expect in terms of the good as well as the bad if you choose to hire a strategic digital marketing consultant who handles freelance projects:
- Hiring a freelance consultant is typically more affordable than partnering with an agency. That being said, you probably won’t have access to the same number of marketing strategies as you would with an agency on your side.
- Because freelancers work on their own, you know exactly who will be handling your digital marketing needs.
- There are many freelance digital marketing consultants that are well-versed in the industry and can offer a variety of different services. However, there are also many who claim to be experts but are far from it, so it’s important to know the difference.
- Solo consultants generally have fewer clients, but this is only because they can’t handle the same workload as an entire team.
- Freelancers tend to have flexible schedules and are willing to work at odd hours because they have the freedom to do so.
- Most freelance digital marketers only have 1 or 2 skills under their belt. That means you may need to hire multiple consultants to handle different tasks, like an SEO specialist, social media marketer, copywriter, etc. The cost of hiring multiple freelancers can quickly become more expensive than paying a monthly agency fee.
- Because of the lack of team members and resources, it generally takes longer for an individual consultant to finish a project.
Digital Marketing Agency Pros & Cons
Now let’s cover the pros and cons of hiring a digital marketing agency:
- Agencies have more manpower and more resources available to them, which means your projects will be finished within a shorter time frame.
- Because there are multiple specialists within an agency who will work together on your projects, you won’t have to hire individual consultants for each digital marketing task.
- The best agencies only hire experts in their field, so you know that whoever is assigned to your projects is knowledgeable and experienced.
- Many digital marketing agencies – SGD included – charge a flat rate that is paid monthly. This flat rate will cover all of your marketing needs, and you’re free to cancel anytime (for some agencies).
- With an entire team of digital marketers on your side, you’ll have more time to focus on other tasks. This ultimately gives you a better chance at growing your company.
- Agencies typically have more clients and a larger workload than a solo consultant. However, they also have the time, team members, and resources to handle more clients, so this is to be expected.
- Hiring a digital agency tends to be more expensive (although this isn’t always the case). But keep in mind that the higher monthly costs usually come with a greater return on investment.
Hire Your Digital Marketing Agency Today
No matter who you choose to hire, just make sure that the agency or individual consultant is ready to handle the job.
The team at Seriously Good Design is small but mighty, offering the perfect balance of individualised service and expert marketing knowledge. Whether you’re looking for help with SEO strategising, content creation, PPC advertising, or all of the above, we can help!
Get in touch today to learn about SGD’s digital marketing services and what they can do for you.